IHM: Catholic Preschool in Timonium, MD
At Immaculate Heart of Mary School, we provide a safe, nurturing, and enriching environment for families looking for a Preschool in Glen Arm, MD. Our PreK-3 and PreK-4 classrooms provide each child with an opportunity to learn and grow spiritually, physically, and emotionally. All within a nurturing and loving environment.
Experience Preschool at Immaculate Heart of Mary School
- We recognize and support each child’s individuality and unique qualities
- Families and teachers work together as partners to encourage your child’s initial adjustment and continuing development
“IHM in my experience is a school that cares about not only the education of your child, but his/her overall well being. The school is a best bet for an excellent Catholic education.”
– IHM Parent
The IHM Preschool Curriculum
Immaculate Heart of Mary’s Preschool in Timonium provides children with vital learning and social skills while being cared for by highly qualified, professionally trained, and certified teachers. IHM students grow their vocabularies, learn fundamental math principles, and develop a love of reading as they prepare for elementary school, according to The Archdiocese of Baltimore’s innovative and age-appropriate curriculum. This approach helps our Preschool program to be a social experience as well as an academic experience in help with the following developments:
Social and Emotional Development
Preschool Subject Areas
Students in the PreK-3 and PreK-4 classrooms also learn the following academic subjects over the course of the school year.
“Bringing Good News” is the Archdiocese of Baltimore Religion Curriculum for Elementary Schools. This standards-based curriculum serves as a guide, a roadmap for both teachers and students as they embark on a journey, which will provide them with the knowledge and understanding of the faith as witnessed in the teachings and the traditions of the Catholic Church. The curriculum is built on the Six Tasks of Catechesis: Promoting Knowledge of the Faith; Liturgical Education; Moral Formation; Teaching to Pray; Education for Community Life; and Missionary Initiation and is aligned with the Assessment of Catholic Religious Education (IFG:ACRE). By the completion of preschool, students will master a variety of skills including:
- Identify self and my family as belonging to God’s family.
- Identify the Bible as a special book about God.
- Dramatize the stories about Jesus from the Bible, i.e. The Last Supper, The Christ Child in the Temple, The Good Samaritan.
- Demonstrate how we show our love by using kind words and positive actions.
- Participate in prayer with the family, alone, in class and at Church.
- Identify the saints as God’s special friends who are part of the family of the Church in heaven.
- Discover that God has made each of them special and that individual differences are gifts from God.
- Understand when we help our family and friends we are showing love to others like Jesus did.
The curriculum for all elementary schools in the Archdiocese of Baltimore include the following units:
- Counting and Cardinality
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Measurement and Data
- Numbers and Operations in Base Ten
- Numbers and Operations
Catholic educators never forget that our schools exist to bring our students to Christ. By continuing to implement new standards that are challenging, we work to fulfill the promise of quality Catholic education that educates the whole child, both mind and soul. By the completion of preschool, students will master a variety of skills including:
- Count groups of objects to 10 in order to solve a problem.
- Subitize: immediate recognition of the number of a group without counting.
- Manipulate actual, physical objects to represent the problem when working on a solution (e.g. apples to represent apples).
- Use measurement vocabulary when describing the attributes of objects.
- Recognize shapes in their real-world environment.
English Language Arts
The English Language Arts Curriculum for the Archdiocese of Baltimore is designed using the Catholic, College and Career Ready clusters as its foundation. Through literature, this course of study fosters students’ Catholic identity, shaping them to be models of Christian living for others. This curriculum is fully integrated with our Catholic faith. We provide students with a curriculum that is rigorous and rich in literature, oral and written language, grammar, writing, vocabulary, informational literature, and multimedia/technology. By the completion of preschool, students will master a variety of skills including:
- Exhibit curiosity and interest in learning new vocabulary (e.g. ask questions about unfamiliar vocabulary).
- Describe the relationship between illustrations and the text in which they appear (e.g., what person, place, thing, or idea in the text an illustration depicts).
- Actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.
- Confirm understanding of a text read aloud or through other media by asking and answering questions about key details and requesting clarification if something is not understood.
- Distinguish shades of meaning among verbs describing the same general action (e.g., walk, march, strut, prance) by acting out the meanings.
Additional Subject Areas
While there are not defined standards in preschool for the following subject areas, Catholic schools offer exploration and introduction to the content that will be learned in future grade levels:
- Instructional Technology
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Physical Education/Health
- World Languages
“Learning has no age but it’s important where it begins. In the Pre-K 3’s, the students are continuously learning to shape the future.“
– Angela Pinto
FAQ’s About Our Preschool in Timonium, MD
Is IHM an accredited and licensed preschool?
Yes, we are a licensed preschool program and in the Spring of 2020, our PreK program earned a Level 5 Quality Rating under the Maryland State Department of Education EXCELS program. This is the highest level offered.
Are the teachers credentialed?
Yes, Miss Kristin (PreK 4 ) is a Level 6 and State Certified. Miss Anglea is a Level 4. Each teacher has a full day Instructional Assistant.
Do you accept vouchers?
Yes, we do accept vouchers through the state of Maryland. To find out more, please visit this website.
How does IHM meet each family’s needs?
Our school offers families the opportunity to enroll their child in before or after-school care during the school year. Our in-house program is called Beyond the Bell. To find out more information about this program please visit https://ihmschoolmd.org/beyond-the-bell/.
How does IHM meet each child’s needs?
Immaculate Heart of Mary School provides a low teacher to student ratio and provides a loving, safe environment for each child. After school activities and sports are offered to students starting in K through 8th grade.
What is the school's educational philosophy?
Immaculate Heart of Mary School embodies excellence in Catholic education empowering students to lead, learn, collaborate, innovate and act with integrity.
What is the make-up of the classroom?
The preschool classrooms are welcoming large and bright rooms filled with educational resources including learning and play centers, a colorful rug for circle time and technology including BenQ boards (interactive monitors) as well as tablets are used in the classroom. Each classroom has access to the outside area including the preschool patio. Drop off and pick up is convenient for parents each morning and afternoon.
Do the students have special classes during their day?
Yes, preschool students enjoy 5 specials each week – art, physical education, music, spanish, and library
Do preschool students wear a uniform?
Yes, the preschool students wear the gym uniform everyday. This uniform can be purchased at Flynn & O’Hara.
“My goal is to create a friendly and positive classroom environment that promotes a true love for learning while nurturing each child’s development through exploration, play, and imagination. I am grateful for the opportunity to guide the children in my care at the beginning of their lifelong journey of growth and discovery.”
– Kristin McKenna
Learn More About Our Preschool in Timonium
Thank you for your interest in The Immaculate Heart of Mary Preschool in Timonium! To learn more about our school please fill out the inquiry form via the button below to schedule a tour, learn more about specific programs, and to start the admissions process.
Once we have received your initial inquiry, an Immaculate Heart of Mary Admissions Officer will reach out to discuss next steps. We look forward to meeting you and your family, and sharing the joys of the IHM Preschool experience!